While the club was launching boats, Michael and I worked on ACE.
Last year we had a power boat hit our stanchion at the dock, and bent and ripped it out of the deck.
The hull and deck of ACE is cored with foam, so we were surprised to find that in this area, it was cored with balsa wood. Obviously, the area was repaired, with balsa, and it was rotten.
We used a 5" diameter hole saw from below to expose the rotten core:
We filled it with foam coring material, and polyester resin thickened with colloidal silica:
We last finished it off with several layers of fiberglass cloth. In the next couple of days, we will sand it out and install the stanchion so that we can get the lifelines on.
In the meantime we:
hooked up the new VHF
put in the MMSI number
replace the toilet with a new unit
The new Vulcan 7 chart plotters hooked up to the same power cables from the old Zeus Touch 8 units. They talked NO PROBLEM with all the other instruments over the NMEA 2000 bus. The new Vulcan 7 units look smaller, but actually have a larger screen.
These units are all screen!
Lastly, I took the rigid boom vang apart and replace the gas lift shock.
The boom is now fully supported without a topping lift!
Got to the club at around 7:30am and had some breakfast.
Still Time was the 11th boat in. Standing around I realized that I didn't attach the steering wheel! A quick trip up the ladder to attach it.
I also lubed the shaft seal with some dish soap. The shaft seal is lubricated and cooled by water from the lake coming up the prop shaft. When the boat is put in the water, there could be an air bubble keeping water from the seal, so the squirt of dish soap lubes it until you can "burb" the seal to get rid of any air bubbles.
Lift started t 8:42am
Still Time has a new slip on the east side of the eastern most dock.
We look over the breakwater from the stern: