- me (bow)
- Michael (driver)
- Phil (main)
- Jenny (runners)
- Ashly (pit)
- Dave (jib)
- Walter (jib)
Forecast was for 15-27 knots from the east.
We rigged up the #4 jib and ran the spinnaker lines.
Discovered that ACE has been rubbing against a dock bollard and removed about a 6" section of gelcoat on the hull. Nothing structural, will be an easy fix. Dave and I had carefully tied up ACE on Sat night, (and again on Mon), but ACE was stuck in the slip. The dock lines would keep her from rubbing on the dock. The winds shifted to the east, and tipped ACE to the North contacting the bollard.
|Click for BIGGER|
Ash was stuck in traffic from TO, so we didn't leave the dock until 5:35pm. Took a while to get out of the slip because of dropping water levels.
Sailing out to the start, there was a dozen boats out there.
Many withdrew because of the strong winds.
We only had 5 boats out and 4 finished.
We had a problem in that the bottom batten in the main was coming out. The 5 minute warning was on, and were are heading upwind to drop the main slightly and retrieve/fixed the protuding batten. It fell out before we could get it. Two minutes to start and raising the #4, we discovered it was wrapped around the spinnaker pole. We were 3 minutes late to the start line.
We quickly caught up to RazorBill and Winston Churchill (C&C 99), but could not pass them.
Gybing downwind in 30+ knots of wind was a challenge.
We rounded up several times, and had water coming over the side of the boat, filling the cockpit!
The waves were unbelievable!
The bottom panel on our #4 delaminated and will have to be repaired.
Without the bottom batten, and luff of the main was flogging and ripped about 3ft down the leach, and will have to be repaired.
Everyone was soaked!
Trip Odometer: 10.91 knots
Avg Speed: 7.0
Max Speed: 16.1 knots!
Moving Time: 01:33:30
Google Earth Track
|Click for BIGGER|