1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Raising Mast

After a nice breakfast at the local EggSmart, got to cleaning the deck and cockpit.
It was nuked with all the workers muddy feet when she was put in the slings.
I just did a quick job with a hose and stiff brush.

I gathered up the spreaders, halyards, windex, and antenna and headed over to the mast storage area.

Since I had bought new haylards in 2009, I decided to remove them when storing the mast to keep them nice.  Really I should have ran tracer lines, but I grabbed someone's discarded shroud, pushed it through the mast, taped the halyards to it, and pulled the lines back.

I carried the mast to my pier on my shoulder.  The 25 ft mast probably weights 50 lbs.

I had put the cotter pins for the spreaders in my pocket, but when I went to get them out, there was only one.  Must be something like socks in the dryer!  Off to Marten's Chandlery to get some more.

Spent the better part of an hour getting the spreaders on, taping the spreader boots, attaching the antenna and windex.  Spent some more time sorting out the shrouds, attaching the shroud tubes, and backing off the turnbuckles.

With the help of Yvan (Sea Beyond) and Brian and Christene (Edisto Blue), we raised the mast at the dock.
The only complication was the backstay had to be thrown over the spreaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment