1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Monday, September 5, 2011

2011.09.04 Jack Layton Memorial

Skippers meeting at 10am, 7 boats, wind from the North 12 knots with gusts to 20.  Reach to Moore Point (just off Pickering Nuclear plant) and back, no spinnakers.  Got to the boat, put a reef in the main, and put the 110 jib on deck.

Went to start the motor, and there was only a little gas in the tank.  I had left the vent open on the tank, so I guess the 1/4 that was in there had evaporated off.   Would not have enough gas to make it to the start line, so I went over to the marina and got some gas.  This delayed the start by 10 for everyone (sorry!)

Not enough sail with the 110 jib, so I dropped it before the start in place of the #1.  Much better.

Had a good start, right on the tails of the two Viking 28s.  Had the boat clost to hull speed (6 knots) the entire time, until the wind dropped closed to the westward mark.  I shook the reef out before rounding.  The boat was overpowered sometimes, and wanted to round up, but a quick ease on the mainsheet kept the boat on its feet and FAST.

Getting back toward Whitby and the finish, with winds were puffy and shifting in direction 45 degrees.  Had to keep on my toes.  Really need to replace the genoa tell tails, as the lower ones are sticking.

I finished about 10 minutes behind the rest of the fleet. 
Placed 3rd in corrected time:
http://wyc.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250&Itemid=212

Trip Odometer: 14.95 miles
Moving Avg: 5.1 knots
Moving Time: 02:56:38

Google Earth track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/20110905.kmz

After I dropped my sails going in the channel, a seagull pooped on my new sail!  BASTARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment