1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

2011.10.11 Whitby with Friend

Barb March is the first person I met at Ontario Hydro, when I started working as a summer student in 1984 at Darlington Nuclear Generating Station.  I have kept in touch with her over the years.  Her daughter Wendy was my coaching assistant when my daughter (now 24) was in Novice.  Barb retired a couple of years ago, and last Saturday Rita and I were driving by her house, and decided to stop in for a visit. 

Barb says she always walks down to the Whitby Pier to watch the sailboats going in and out of the harbour.  We setup a date to take her out sailing.  Today was the day.

Winds were forcast to be 7 knots with gusts to 12 from east, so I put the old main on with a reef and the #3 jib.  Did not want to spook her.  Also knew that when we came in, it would be dark, so I fixed the bow navigation light (turned out to be corrosion in the socket). Barb, Rita, and I went out for a little over an hour.  Boat moved along quite well, with not much heel.  Barb liked the waves (she didn't get splashed).

We saw a beautiful sunset in the west and an almost full moon in the east.


Great night on the water!
Click for larger photo


After coming back in from the lake, we motored around the habour.

Trip Odometer: 5.75 miles
Moving Avg: 3.1 knots
Moving Time: 01:51:19

Google Earth track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/20111011.kmz

No comments:

Post a Comment