1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

CS34 Electric Head


On our first night sleeping on the boat, Rita passed me one of those face wash cloths.  I put it in the electric head and flushed.  The "baby wipe" grabbed onto the impeller that grids up the "chunks of chocolate thunder" and toilet paper.  In the process, destroyed the plastic teeth on the drive motor.

Same thing happened last year in June, and it to 7 weeks to get replacement parts.  I didn't have the new head functional until August!

I called around and it is still a 7 week lead time; SO I ORDERED TWO!

Good thing I didn't toss the old manual head.

There are four bolts that hold the toilet in place.  Putting them on involved using a specialized angle ratchet to drive a slot screw driver bit.  Had to use this because the slots that receive the bolts do not have clearance to use a standard hex bolt and normal socket or wrench.
WELL, DO YOU THINK I COULD GET THESE UNDONE?

No head on the boat since Wednesday night!

I have tried everything I had, and broke the specialized angle ratchet trying to get the bolts to budge!

What should have taken half an hour has taken dozens of hours of frustration!

Using a 3/8" drive screwdriver socket with a universal and multiple extensions, I am able to get two of the bolts out.

Brad from the club lent me a screwdriver socket that is a little wider and would allow me to put a standard box end wrench on it.  I didn't have the proper sized wrench, so I will try AGAIN tonight.

If Brad's socket works, I will call it an "Angel Socket"!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment