1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Friday, September 23, 2016

ACE Delivery to ABYC

Tomorrow is the last major race of the season called the Donald Summerville memorial.  Named after a previous mayor of Toronto.  I had to get the boat the Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club (ABYC).

The field will see almost all the HOT boats on Lake Ontario.
I think its kewl that ACE and Razorbill are in this class.

I could not find someone to do the delivery with me, so I set out single handed at 13:00.

Rita was sick as a dog and went home from work, but didn't want to come out

The Lovely Rita waving goodbye
Without an autopilot, ACE is impossible to motor or sail single/double handed.  The tiller is just too sensitive.  Leave the tiller for 10 seconds, and the boat wanders all over the place.  Even lashing the tiller does not make a difference.  We have purchased a tiller pilot and will install it in the off season for deliveries such as this.

Waves were as 3-4 feet from the SE and the wind was only 6 knots from the NE.  Very uncomfortable to point directly at ABYC, so I head to shore.

Just before passing Cathedral Bluffs, I saw a search and rescue plant circling around Ashbridges Bay.  On the VHF they talked about a sunken floating sailboat; can you say oxymoron?  They gave out the lat/long and I put it in the chart plotter and headed over to check it out.



Note that there is a light attached on the bow.  I suspect that that it had be adrift for a while (confirmed by a friend on Facebook).  This little diversion was 1.2 miles from the entrance to ABYC.


CN Tower in the background
Going in the channel in 15 ft at water going 3 knots, I ran aground; depth meter when from 15ft to 6.5ft in a matter of a boat length.   Waves were pounding the keel into the bottom.  I heeled the boat over (as best I could) and powered off the hump.  Scary.

Circle is where ACE hit bottom

Michael greeted me at the dock and helped me tie her up, and drove me to union station for a GO Train ride to Whitby.

We will all meet tomorrow at 10am; first start is at 10:55.

Trip Odomter: 23.20 miles
Avg Speed: 6.0 knots
Max Speed: 8.3 knots
Moving Time: 03:50:23

Google Earth Track

Click for BIGGER


No comments:

Post a Comment