1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Broken Keel Bolt!!!

SHIT - the final stubborn keel bolt broke off inside the keel stump!

The bolt must have been rusted/weekened, because it broke off using a 1/2" racket.



Really don't know what do to here, but I am thinking the keel has to be fully dropped and a keel bolt replaced.  The other 5 bolts may be in the same state.  The drawing I got from Catalina showed that the bolts are cast into the keel with a threaded rod with a J in it.  Replacement keel bolt(s) will have to be threaded into the keel. 

Catalina Direct makes a kit to put in new threaded keel bolts (almost $300):  http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1071&ParentCat=19

Not much room in the forward dinette locker to work on this. 

Hmmm, this kit is for five keel bolts, while my boat has six.

If I do completely remove the keel, I might as well get it sand blasted. 

Thinking this might be an expensive repair.

Wonder if I can weld a stainless threaded keel bolt extension on the broken bolt?

No comments:

Post a Comment