1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Scaping Complete

After the Newcastle AGM, I was able to get out to Still Time by 2pm.
The goal was to finish scraping the bottom.

I went over to the cradle "boneyard" and found some jack stands.  Used them to scrape underneath the cradle pads. Also sanded beneath a couple of them. 

Port aft
You can see where I sanded under the pad

Port forward
You can also see where I sanded under the pad


Starboard aft


NOTE: the keel will be cleaned up when it is dropped.  I plan on using a rotary wire bush on a grinder to do this.  Richard also suggested renting a portable sandblaster. Since the keel is cast iron, it has to be coated with a rust/epoxy paint immediately after to prevent it from rusting.

I will NOT be putting the Interprotect 2000E on until the spring. It has to be above 10 degrees Celcius overnight for it to stick, and the strings holding the shrink wrap are in the way.

The Dewalt sander I borrowed from Ian did not work well.  The peel and stick pads fell off in a minute or so of sanding under the one pad.  Richard is going to lend me his Porter Cable one with hook and loop fasteners.

Spent 3 hours completing the scaping just before I lost light.
That is a total of 10 hours to scape the bottom of the hull.
Thinking that the sanding/fairing will take double that.

The jack stands had the name "Loretta Dawn" on them; Bob Nunny confirmed that this was a powerboat that had been sold four or five years ago.  These are the right height to perhaps drop the keel.

Want to have the keel dropped this coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment