1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Monday, September 10, 2012

C22 Whitby Fall Regatta

Started putting my sails up at around 10am.  I wanted to change my 120lb Honda 8hp four stroke outboard for my 35lb Merc 60 two stroke outboard.  I took Still Time out of the slip, and backed her in so the outboard was sticking over the dock, allowing me to lift the Honda off easily.  Well, the old Merc did NOT fit on the outboard mount!  Had to scramble to get the Honda back on.  I loosely tightened the mounts, and motor shifted, and ALMOST fell in the water!  If I wasn't straddling the dock and boat, it most certainly would have!  Rushed out to the start, radioing the committe boat saying that I had "engine troubles" and that I would be a 2 minutes late.  They delayed the start.

Winds were light 5 to 6 knots from the NW, full main and light #1, single handed.

Course was 2 short.

First Race

Start was not that great, as I was late crossing the line.
Had to majorly duck starboard tack Sumac near the first mark.
Winds were dying towards the end.

Came in second accross the line to Cheeky Monkey.

Google Earth Track: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/2012/20120909-1.kmz

Second Race

Had a great start on starboard going right to the windward mark.
Winds were dying and shifting for everyone going to the mark.
Had to duck starboard tack Eclipse heading to the mark.
Cheeky Monkey and I were the first boats past this mark.

On the third leg, I went out to get some wind and was definately in the lead of the fleet.
But alas, the extra speed I got did not make up for the extra distance travelled.

Winds were VERY shifty, sometimes as much as 180 degrees.
On the fourth leg, a wind shift caused me to do an accidental 360!

Came in second accross the line to Cheeky Monkey, may have caught him on corrected time.
Update: 24 seconds in corrected time behind Cheeky Monkey!  That 360 was costly!

Google Earth Track: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/2012/20120909-2.kmz

They didn't have a third race, as it was after 2:30pm curfew for the BBQ.

Coming back in, the light winds were perfect for flying the spinnaker.
As I was getting it ready, Chris from Iris came by dropped off his daughter Christina, as she wanted to learn how to fly one.  Pretty good trade: a beer for a crew member to fly the spinnaker.  It was fun!

Trip Odometer: 11.70 miles
Moving Avg: 2.8 knots
Moving Time: 04:09:00

No comments:

Post a Comment