1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Saturday, September 8, 2012

C22 Whitby Stonehaven Cup Race

Was supposed to be the Whitby Fall Regatta today (3 races), but the weather was NASTY for around the cans racing.  Winds were to be 15-20 knots with gusts to 40 from the NNW, and major rain.

Race comittee decided to run the medium distance race: Ajax weather buoy, FBYC mark 7, and back to Whitby.  They would run the fall regattta tomorrow.

I took some time at the dock to double reef the old main, as I haven't hoisted that sail in a while.
Also hoisted the #3 jib, as I was single handed.

At the start, there was only about 5 knots of breeze out there.  Only two boats in my division: the other was the Catalina 25 Iris.  We were both over early, and had to double back.  It took me about 10 minutes to get re-started.  Grrrr!  Too bad, would have been a great start.  I watched all the spinnaker boats hoist spinnackers at the start, and here I was with a double reef and small jib.

On the way back to the start, I dropped the #3 and hoisted the heavy #1.  I got through the start going along really well, and I see all the spinnaker boats broaching all over the place, while all the whitesail boats are heeled over 45 degrees.  Winds had picked right up!  WAY UP!!!

I had WAY too much head sail up, but didn't dare go foreward single handed to do a swap back.  There was too much wind and waves to use the autohelm.  I was able to feather the tiller, and head up past close hauled in the puffs to keep the boat in its feet.

I was staying with a CS30 owned by Mark Ashworth, when I saw them fall off the wind and furl in their headsail quickly. Actually, they started coming towards me.  I was on a starboard tack, but started to duck the as they were crossing my bow.  They had lost steerage, and were out of control scrambling to get the emergency tiller hooked up.  I guess it was another Mark I had to round!

Rounded the Ajax weather buoy, and tacked to 4 to 5 ft waves, and much more breeze.  There were scallops on the head sail: the halyard needed to be tensioned.  I ran the haylard down to the windward primary winch and as I pulled it in, the turning block pulled out of the deck, making the scallops worst.  I tried to heave too, but there was too much pressure on the sail to tension the halyard.  I really need to get the cabintop winches installed, and better turning blocks.

Going towards the FBYC mark 7, it rained really hard, and wind picked up further. 
It was a lot of work to keep the boat from rounding up.

Rounded the FBYC mark, and the winds died a lot, probably down to 8 knots.  Thinking the winds wouldy would build again, I poled out wing on wing using the spinnaker pole, as the whisker pole would have snapped.

The winds started building again, and I did not go below 7 knots the entire way back to Whitby.  At one point I hit 10.4 knots surfing a wave.  Finshed the race doing 9.5 knots!

This fast downwind leg was good enough for me to win my division.

We had a great BBQ with free Mount Gay Rum.

Trip Odometer: 22.90 miles
Moving Avg: 5.5 knots
Moving Time: 04:08:00

Google Earth Track: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/2012/20120908.kmz




No comments:

Post a Comment