1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Saturday, July 20, 2013

C22 Whitby Mayor's Cup

WYC Mayor's Cup is a weekend pursuit race.  Boats start in the reverse order of their PHRF handicap.  For example, Gary on Dolphin has a PHRF of 300, while Still Time has a PHRF of 270, so I would give him 30 seconds for every mile sailed.  Similarly, a competitor with a PRHF of 210, would give me the difference of 60 seconds a mile.  The course was set to the Moore Point mark  in Pickering, making the race 14 miles long. 

I started 7 minutes after Gary; while the fastest boat in our fleet is Ed's JustinTime with a PRHF of 135 started 34 minutes after me.   I really like this format because theoretically, all boats should finish at the same time and you really get to gauge your sailing performance.

I was out single handed with the light #1 and full racing main.

Winds were from the NW, 6-12 knots making for a nice close reach to Pickering.

Not so, winds were VERY light at the start and picked up as the fleet went west.  Going into shore, the winds were VERY flukey.  Puffs would come up and the boat would be overpowered and rounded up.  Plus they were shifting as much at 90 degrees!  At one point, the wind died inshore, so I fought my way offshore away from the mark to find wind, only to have it die, and start again inshore.  Was very frustrating sailing!

Near the west windward mark, I was second around just behind Silver Shadow (Tartan 3400).  Winds were gusting and shifting all over the place.  At one point I was healed over so much that I fell backward and broke the electrical connection for the autohelm.  Ugggghhh.

Got the boat going well just behind a beam reach following the rhumb line to the finish.  After a couple of miles the winds lightened, then switch from NW to SW and picked up.  Trying the gybe the sails without an autohelm was difficult.  On this new point of sail (broad reach), I need to pole out the genoa to windward.  THIS IS WHEN THE TROUBLE STARTED.  Going forward without an autohelm is tough, so I rigged a tiller tamer with a line.  However, the winds were shifty, and everytime I went forward, the boat would wander around.  Plus, the boat would respond to weight shifts as I went forward.  After about 10 trips to the foredeck, the boat would fall off/round up and lose all boat speed.  I ALMOST got the pole setup, and the genoa back winded and wrapped around the forestay.  The sheets went under the boat and got all tangled.  I took me about 15 minutes to get this sorted out (just look at the track!).  Meanwhile boats were catching and passing me.  I went from 2nd place to the rear of the fleet.

What a cluster F!

Scored a DFL (Dead Friggan Last), but oh wait, I still beat Bruder on Dolphin!

Trip Odometer: 21.40 miles
Moving Average: 4.4 knots
Moving Time: 04:40:00

Google Earth Track: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/2013/20130720.kmz

No comments:

Post a Comment