1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

CS34 Output Flange

Picked up the prop shaft output flange from Port Whitby Marine ($160).  Came with new bolts/lock washers/nuts, but they were too long.  I will just use the old bolts.  Did NOT come with a new keyway, so I went to Princess Auto and picked up some 1/4" key stock ($7).

The keyway on the prop shaft was a little distorted and would not accept the new key stock.  Had to file with a small file I had to make the key stock fit.  Also had to clean up the prop shaft with some emery cloth.  However, now matter how I tried, I could not be the new prop flange to go on the prop shaft.

New Flange

Old Flange
In the above photo, you can see how the flange was spinning on the shaft, shearing the retaining bolts on the side, wearing a ring around the inside of the flange!

I measured with a micrometer, and the shaft and flange are exactly 1", but I could net get them to go on more than 1/8 of a inch.

I took the old flange to the club workshop and ground the bolts so they would make with the receiving "indents" on the prop shaft.  I then put the old prop flange on the prop shaft.  I doesn't line up completely, but is secure enough to use.

Perhaps in the fall after haulout, I will pull the shaft and have the new flange mated to it.  It is just too difficult to work in the confined spaces at the back of the motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment