1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

C22 Spring Singlehanded Race3

Winds were forecasted for 9-14 from the North; flat water.

Too much wind for the racing main, so I rigged the old darcron main with a double reef at the dock and went out with the #2.

double reefed main
Last week I gave the rest of my gas to Brian on Fly Buoy, so I ran out of gas going out the channel.  No big deal, as with the north wind behind, I just hoisted the genoa and sailed out to the course.  Once at the start, I hove to and Andrew lent me his extra gas can.  Andrew came in with speed and Mickey's hull was the beneficiary of a racing stripe from Still Time's rub rail.

Course was set to 1 medium.  Had the right amount of sail, the boat was never over powered.

In a nutshell, I SHIT THE BED in the race.

Tacking at the start, autohelm messed up and I did a 360.

Was doing well to the windward mark, but had to tack trice to make it.  On both tacks, the autohelm messed up and I ended up doing more 360s.  Plus the lazy sheet got stuck in the genoa tracks.

Here is a graphic of the shit show at the windward mark:



Ended up last a full 20 mintues behind the others.

Was still a nice night on the water!

Sun through the genoa close hauled

Double reef and #2

Cam Berry on Cheeky Monkey

Trip Odometer: 9.48 miles
Avg Speed: 4.4 knots
Moving Time: 02:14:00

Google Earth: Track

Click for bigger


No comments:

Post a Comment