1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

2011.08.17 Whitby Race Night

Went at lunch to Nats Marine and bought some 1/4" sheets for the new sail, as the grommet won't my accomodate my existing sheets (rope is too big).

Got to the dock at about 5pm and started preparing the boat to get out.  Leff the dock at 5:30pm to try out the new sail.  Boat really powered up without much heel.

Wind were 5-8 knots from the SW, with 1-2 ft waves. 

New genoa is different, but in a good way.  Can't sheet it right it because I THINK it was designed for C-22s WITHOUT stantions and life lines; they just got in the way.  I could point a lot higher than my old #1 WITHOUT losing speed.  However, the luff was terrible; I could not tension the genoa, even when head to wind.  Hooked up a genoa cunningham with a block on the stem and 3/16 line run back to the mast.  Still not enough.  Really think a halyard winch is required to tension the luff.  The new sail was easy to tack, and held its shape really well.  I definately have to replace the tell tales are they were frayed and sticking.  The new sail required the genoa cars to be moved forward about one foot.

I went out single handed with full main and the new sail.
Boat really powers up without heel.
New sail kept on poping the genoa halyard out of the jam cleat.
After the 3rd time, I pounded the halyard into the cleat with a screwdriver.

Can you say rope clutch and winch for the cabintop?

About 3 minutes before the start, I was passing the committee boat on starboard tack, and decided this was how I wanted to start, so I went to tack back, but there were other starboard boats coming in, so I had to tack 180 degrees to avoid them.  In the process, I lost my winch handle overboard.  I didn't realized it until I went to tack back the other way to the start.  Trying to harden up, and couldn't find the nice lewmar winch handle.   The gun goes off and I am by the committee boat TRYING to harden up without a winch handle.  Then I see the handle FLOATING by the committee boat.  I do a 180 to come back and pick it up.  I guess I got lucky to not lose my only winch handle, but messed up the start.

The new sail is geat to windward; I could point much higher than my competitors.  With the waves, I cracked off slightly for more power.  Autopilot didn't like the waves, and could not keep a course.  Poled out the new sail to windward on the downwind leg; AWESOME.

As I was beating to the finish on a port tack, I had to duck a blue Viking 28 that had already finished.  Brutal!  Then I had to sail through their dirt too!

Think I finished 2nd last, but may have taken some boats on corrected time.

After the race,  I dropped the new genoa on the deck and rigged the spinnaker.  Was able to get 6.5 knots of boat speed with it.  Had to do a gybe, and it worked well.  I was pleased.

Took me a while to get the boat to bed; flaked the main, and packed the spinnaker, but I could not fold the new sail on the dock by myself.  I carefully folded it and put it in the cockpit.  Later Rita help me properly fold it and put it in the sail bag.

Trip Odometer: 11.53 miles
Moving Average: 4.0 knots
Moving Time: 02:54:59

Google Earth track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/20110817.kmz

Tired

No comments:

Post a Comment