1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

CS34 Electronics

After work I picked up the electronics I ordered from Nat's Marine in Pickering.  Best to support my favourite local chandlery over the online giants.

Raymarine E7 Chart Plotter

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=2027&PRODUCT=4380

I chose the E7 because I like the touch screen interface and it will integrate well with the existing Silva intruments, my Android phone, and future upgrades like autopilot/radar/Sirius/etc.  The E7 uses Bluetooth to control music on my phone that will be hooked up below decks to the stereo.  The E7 uses wireless to mirror whatever is on the screen to my phone or future tablet.

I plan on mounting it on the binnacle like this

Standard Horizon Matrix GX2150 DSC VHF with AIS

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexvs.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=A2C2F4EB2A092075389DC4199A79B6C1&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

I chose the Matrix because the existing VHF does not have DSC, and this product is the cheapest AIS receiver on the market.  The integration with the E7 only uses one high speed NMEA 0183 port for both DSC, AIS, and GPS.



After sailing the two boats, I headed to Newcastle for drink for Tuesday pub night.

When I got back to the boat, I unboxed the units, and hooked them all up loosely on the chart table to test functionality.  Even below decks, the E7 acquires satellites very quickly.  I was able to hook the VHF up using NMEA 0183 and see two AIS targets on the chart plotter: Kestal from WYC and a freighter 4.8 miles south of WYC doing 14 knots eastbound.  I input my MMSI, but did not test the DSC functionality.  Also hooked up the other NMEA port to the Nexus server and got depth information.  Did not see speed or wind info and will have to troubleshoot that.

I am really disappointed with the cartography on the E7.  My 10 year old Garmin handheld has better charting and depth information!  As it is now, this chart plotter CANNOT be used to navigate Whitby harbour, as it doesn't even show up on the screen as a harbour. Here in my slip it appears I am on land!  I quickly looked at Toronto harbour, FORGETABOUTIT!  The unit was supposed to come with the Navionics "Silver" Canadian Charts, but I did not see a micro SD card for it in the unit or box.

Think maybe there should have been a micro SD card in the box!

Here is a screen shot from my Android phone Galaxy S2 using the Rayview Application:

What harbour?
I'm not on the hard!!!
You can see the depth being displayed from the Nexus instrument.

Here is an AIS target detail:

Like!


UPDATE: I called Raymarine support and there should be a micro SD card in the box. 

I went out to the car, and it was on the seat!!!


Much Better!
You can see the AIS Target KESTREL near the end of dock 7

No comments:

Post a Comment