1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Still Time for Maintenance

Got down to the club and wanted to work on the little boat.

The 12v lead acid battery is in a battery box that is screwed to a piece of plywood that is epoxied to the bottom of the hull just below the companionway.  A couple of weeks ago, we heard some clunking below on tacks, and there wasn't any power to the lights, radio, or depth meter.  I just though the battery was dead.  
A couple of days ago, I went to hookup the shore power to charge the battery, and it would not charge.  I checked below, and the screws securing the battery box had let go, the battery was on its side with the 12v cables ripped off.  I had put the battery on the dock, and one side of the battery was low on water, so I added distilled water, and hooked it up to a battery charger.  The battery took a full 24 hours to charge.

I borrowed a battery load tester from a dockmate, and to my surprise, the battery is fine.

Getting ready to put the battery back in the boat, a thunderstorm came through with major rain and winds.

I went below on the big boat.

The radio on big Still Time is supposed to send AIS info the chart plotter.  AIS is kewl because it will track commercial ships and takes the worry out of collusion when on he water.  This AIS was working last year, but did not work this year.  I took the time to trace the wiring , and sure enough, I had crossed two wires.

The storm had passed, so I screwed the battery box back, and installed the battery.

Also re-attached the spinnaker ring to the mast.
 
Spent a couple of hours scrubbing the cockpit; still needs more work.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment