1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Thursday, October 10, 2013

CS34 Sail Care

I woke up WITHOUT an alarm before 7am.  For those of you that know me, that only happens for golf and sailing!  I set out single handed.
 
I had packed the sails from big Still Time in the car for drop off at a place called Sail Care in Ford City PA, about 45 minutes from Grove City.  Sail Care specializes in the cleaning, re-conditioning, and repair of sails.  They do THOUSANDS of sails a year.  To ship big bulky heavy sails there and back are a couple of hundred dollars. 
 
I had called Sail Care and asked if I could drop them off on the way to Annapolis, have them perform the work on the sails, and pick them up on the way back.  I had to drop them off early on Thursday morning because it takes 24 hours for the cleaning and re-resining process.
 
I also brought the main from a Hunter 41 to drop off for a friend.  Dave Ackerman has used Sail Care before and was VERY impressed with the job they do.

 





We unfolded and inspected the sails.  My sails were filthy!  There were lots of repairs that needed to be done:
  • replace some batten pockets
  • repair leach line on the main
  • replace leach line pockets
  • re-sew some seams
  • repair luff tape on head of genoa
  • replace leather on clew of genoa
  • install missing main slide
The Sail Care dry cleaning and re-resining process also removes the tell tales and sail numbers/logo.
They typically would sew around the numbers/logo, and it would cost 2 hours of labour to do this.  I looked at my numbers and logo that were faded and in rough shape, so I agreed for them to put new ones on.

The people at Sail Care were professional, courteous, efficient, and obviously loved their jobs!

On the way there, I saw some sailboat moulds on the a flatbed trailer, so I stopped and took a picture on the way back:


Turned out to be a mould for a J-24 and some other 30ft sailboat.

In the meantime, Rita was back at the hotel getting ready for a shopping day at the Grove City Outlet mall that opened at 10am.

Trip Odometer: 107 miles
Moving Average: 59 mph
Moving Time: 01:48:00

Google Earth Track: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/2013/20131010-1.kmz

No comments:

Post a Comment