On Saturday, I spent problably 4 hours power washing the hull and bottom. The power washer was taking off some of the bottom paint, so I kept going thinking it would be less to scrape off.
I can see four layers of bottom paint: blue, red, and two of black bottomcote XXX.
|Here you can see some of the bottom paint coming off the hull|
Port aft is where I think the leak is.
The Sikaflex 15LM sealant I quickly put in just before launch held up surprising well.
The keel also leans about 10 degrees to port. When I bought the boat in 2008, it came with a survey from 2003 that said the keel is canted to port, but "does not affact sailing" (what kind of survey is that!). I think a number of years ago the keel sump core was rotten, and the keel bolts were loose. The boat may have been put on the cradle off center, causing the keel to lean to port. When I dug out the core this spring these was evidence of epoxy around the keel bolts, sealant, and extra washers. The previous owner probably just bandaided it and tightened the bolts up.
On haulout this year, I purposely set her on the cradle non level to starboard. The keel cant is lessening.
Last night I took the keel bolts off. One of them was stubborn, so I will blast it with some liquid wrench tonight. The plan is to raise the boat in the cradle 2-3" and have the keel drop slightly. Cleanout the keel joint, and re-bed it with some Sikaflex/5200.
Debating if I should glass over the entire keel joint.