On good Friday, I had rough fitted the through hulls.
The log transducer was sticking up slightly causing the floor boards to raise.
I took the time to remove the old backing plates. They were 1/4" plywood and were rotted. Used a 3 1/2" hole saw to remove the plywood cleanly. The fiberglass on the hull is over about 3/4" thick!
I made up two backing plates using 1/4" lexan I had around the house.
Also removed all of the sealant around the outside of the through hulls. Use a random orbit sander to smooth it out. The epoxy barrier coat was done right with alternating layers of white and grey.
|Dry fit before sealant|
I changed the log and depth transducers around and it solved the clearance problems.
Also taped the outside of the hull to prevent the sealant from going on the hull.
Buttered the bottom flanges of the instruments with Sikaflex 291 LOT, as well as around the inside before putting the backer plates down, and tightening the nuts.
Took the excess sealant off with a putty knife, then took the tape off. Great JOB!
Rita washed the hull of the boat below the waterline, while I mixed up one can of VC-17. We alternated painting the bottom. It took us about 3 hours. Looks great!
Tomorrow I will do the little boat's bottom.