It was sunny and warm (16 degrees C), but there was a strong north wind that made it cold. Had to switch to long pants and a hoodie.
First thing I did was lift the cover on deck to expose the hull sides.
Manually washed the hull with dawn dishsoap to remove any grime.
Next, went over the hull with Spray Nine, as it removes any of the residual wax from last year.
Thoroughly rinsed the sides of all soap/product residue.
Went over any spots on the hull with Aquabuff 2000 and a lamb's wool pad on the buffer.
In past years I have done the entire hull, but honestly it didn't need it.
The compounding with Aquabuff 2000 is like sanding with wet/dry 2000+ grit sandpaper.
Next applied my goto wax:
This stuff is expensive at $35 a bottle, but works excellently!
Applied in 3-4 ft sections of the hull, then buffed out with a new lambs wool pad.
Well worth the effort.
My shoulder and arms are very tired.
Next it was onto painting the bottom.
I ran a wet scotchbrite pad over the entire bottom.
Masked off the waterline, and painted the bottom with VC-17.
Turned out really well.
Used one can of VC-17 (very thin coat).
Launch is still two weeks away, but I am leaving the cover on, as the willow trees above the boat make a MESS of the deck:
In the meantime, the club brought our dock over in position:
Nice to see that they have completed the new dock electrical and plumbing on time.
Things still left to do before launch
- remove cover and frame
- clean/polish/wax transom
- remove glycol from motor
- put anchor/chain/rode in locker
- docklines and fenders