1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Keel Me

Picked up a 17/32" drill from the tool store in Ajax.

Got to the club at 8:30am. Lots of activity in the shop with the dock rebuilding going in high gear.  The drill press was being used, so I helped out where I could.

Walter had given me various TORX sockets.  He uses them at the farm to successfully remove studs.  I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the inside diameter and pounded the TORX bit into it.  However, the bit just spun in the stud.  It was worth a try.

Tried for over an hour to drill out the broken off "easy out".

Rich and I spent about an hour drilling and tapping the remaining three holes.
I dropped the old 1/2" stud into the hole for comparison:

I have purposely made the new studs longer.


Ending up drilling down almost 2" before tapping with a tapered tap.  Cleaned out hole, then finishing it with a bottoming tap.  The 17/32" pilot drill make tapping much easier.

Spent the next 4 hours trying all kinds of drill bits, including cobalt, and dremmel bits to try and get the easy out out.


You can see the easy out in the bottom of the hole (darker)

Nothing doing.  That "easy out" material is TOUGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment