1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Monday, May 27, 2013

CS34 Head Wind Cleat

Got down to the club after work and prepared a messenger line on the wind transducer cable in preparation for going up the mast.  Over to masting area for a quick pump out, waiting for help to arrive. 

Harvey and Yvan hoisted me up the mast on a bosun's chair using the mast crane.  We rigged up the main halyard as a backup safety line.  Good thing as the mast crane comes to within 2ft of the top of the mast.  Harvey winched me up the final 18".  I took the screws out of the wind transducer and removed it.  The plan was to pull the transducer wiring up out of the mast with the messenger line.  However it would not budge, leaving me to believe that the cable is pinched at the mast step.   Now the mast has to be raised, or taken down.  Since there were some boats in the queue to put their masts up, I shut it down for the day.

I think I will just take the mast down this week and troubleshoot the cabling/transducer on the ground.

Back at my slip, I took the old head out:

Water supply on right
Big black hose is the waste outlet
The two white hoses at the back are the vented loop
Was a pretty easy job, using the battery shop vac to suck up any water that did come out.

I had purchased a replacement Jabsco Lite Flush electric head.  Supposed to be a direct replacement for the old manual one.  Well the mounting bolts lined up, but the intake for the raw water goes directly back and touches the angled fiberglass behind it (actually this is the hull).  So there is NO WAY this new head will fit.  There is NO WAY to attach the 3/4" intake hose.

Going to call the manufacturer and see if the make an option to run the intake fitting to the side, otherwise the head will have to go back.  Also thinking I can add 1" of starboard underneath the unit to raise the inlet hose enough for clearance.

On the plus side, the water around the docks had cleared up and I could see the mid ship cleat I had dropped overboard, and was able to scoop it up with a fishing net!

All is not lost, there's Still Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment