1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Thursday, October 21, 2021

C22 Dismasting

Haulout for the west yard is tomorrow morning.

Little Still Time is the only boat with its mast up on dock 8:



Heading over the west basin:


I parked the boat bow in near the launch ramp in the basin.

Took the boom off and the lower shrouds off, and Chris and Caroline helped me drop the mast at the dock.  Carried the mast over to some stands on the south side of the basin.


The crane was being setup for tomorrow's haul out.

GPS Track:



Spent some time levelling little Still Time cradle.

Walter asked me to move his dinghy as it was in the way for the launch/haulout dock.
Went for a little boot around the club (see GPS track above).











Wednesday, October 20, 2021

CS34 Final Sail for 2021


Final sail on Still Time for 2021!

Raising reefed main in the harbour:


Motor off, jib unfurled, GO!
60 degrees off the wind and a SOG of 7.3 knots!




Winds were 12 knots from the SW with gusts into the 20s.
Heeled over 30 degrees at one point.





Reefed Main
Driving nicely

Went about 4 miles into the lake and turned around, as I had to be back in to meet Walter to take down the mast for 2pm.  Coming back was a little bumpy with the waves.  Got rained on a little bit.




Went right over to the mast crane and met Rita and Walter.

Did a pump out, and took the sails and boom off:

Dodger/Bimnini too


Then off came the mast.



In the meantime, Rita was loading the car and truck with cushions, sails, and canvas.


Will clean  up the mast and put it on the racks over the next couple of days.

NO MORE SAILING FOR ME

Start: 12:03pm
End: 01:43pm
Time: 01:30
Length: 9.2 miles

Avg Speed: 5.5 knots
Max Speed: 10.6 knots

Click for BIGGER



Tuesday, October 19, 2021

CS34 Five Days Until Haulout

Haulout for the 34 is on Sunday.

Still plan on taking the mast down on Wednesday before it turns cold and wet on Thursday.

Nothing worst than taking sails and canvas off when wet and cold!

Plan to get out again tomorrow before stripping the boat!

Rita and I got some stuff off the boat before I headed out singlehanded:

Rita on the dock

Winds were forecasted for 12-20 from the west, so once into the harbour, up went the reefed main from yesterday, and unfurled the jib with the cars back to de-power it.





15 degrees of heel and the rail was NOT in the water.

Speed transducer started working again, proving that a boat just needs to be sailed!

Surprisingly warm and sunny!

The waves were coming from the SE at about 2-3ft.  Decided to crack off to 60 degrees to the wind for more power to get through the waves.

There was a brand new Catalina maybe 355? out with too much sail up.  I blew by them!


Also had a Hunter 30 from the club come out behind me:



Turned around about 3 miles out into the lake.
Much better angle to the waves and at 100 degrees to the wind, the boat flew along at over 7 knots comfortably.




The stunt plane was flying above me:

Kinda hard to see the plane


Sailed right into the harbour:


Not too many masts up at the club:




Great time on the water!

Start: 01:34pm
End: 02:54pm

Duration: 02:54
Length: 6.9 miles

Avg Speed: 5.1 knots
Max Speed: 10.0 knots

Click for BIGGER

 

Monday, October 18, 2021

CS34 October Sail

Haulout is 5 days away, and the wind was blowing from the north 9-20 knots: time to go for a sail!

Packed up the winter cover for repair for Phil at the club to patch.  The cover is wearing thin along the top where the ridge pole goes.  Phil is going to sew some material along the entire length to extend the life of the cover.

Installed the cleaned out water strainer for the deckwash and installed a new hose while I was at it.
The deck wash is working perfectly now.

Went out singlehanded rigging a reef in the main in the harbour, unfurling the jib exiting the harbour.


It was a little cold, but nothing that a few layers of clothing couldn't help with.

Sailing 60 degrees to the NW wind, got the boat going between 6 and 7 knots with about 15 degrees of heel.  Autopilot did a great job, even in the puffs to 22 knots.

Reefed main

Full jib
Was the right sail combination.

The boat hasn't been sailed in a couple of weeks and had no boat speed on the instruments.
Probably a weed or barnacle stuck in the speed paddle.

SailTime from Toronto was delivering their boats to the Whitby marina for the winter:


Made it past Ajax, and it looked like rain clouds coming my way.

Before I tacked, I saw that the shackle on the main sheet had come loose:


...and had bent the shackle.  I quickly replaced it before tacking downwind.

Going back at a wind angle of 100-120 degrees had 7 knots of boat speed!

The rest of the SailTime boats sailed into the harbour with me:


Great couple of hours on the water!
Will try to get out a couple more times before taking the mast down on Wednesday.
North wind all week!

Start time: 12:09pm
End time: 02:12pm
Duration: 02:12
Length: 9.5 miles

Average Speed: 4.6 knots
Max Speed: 10.2 knots

Click for BIGGER

Navionics track recording is now working in the background on my phone!


Wednesday, October 13, 2021

MUMM36 ZAMBONI Dismasting

ZAMBONI haulout is less than 2 weeks away.

Time to get the mast down.

Phil and I got to the boat at around 3pm and proceeded to remove:

  • vang
  • boom
  • cunningham
  • mainsheet
  • backstay
  • running backstay(s)
  • pole downhaul
  • halyards out of clutches
  • mast displays

Phil and I did some measurements with a long tape measure.

  • 7'-6" from downhaul block to bowsprit block
  • 45'-4" fractional spin hoist
  • 52' masthead spin hoist

We will use these to create asym tack strop (use the pole downhaul to adjust), and figure out our code 0 and potential fractional asym.

Kris and Michael came and we moved the boat over to the masting area for 5:30pm.



John Crawley was there to do measure the boat for ORC/IRC ratings.
In the above photo, the spinnaker pole on the lifelines was used as a reference to measure the distance from the shear to the black band on the mast to determine the height of the main above the shear line.

The mast came down very quickly.





John had to hookup a load sensor to the crane and re-lift the mast to find its weight (138kg) and balance point.  This mast is definitely heavier than the old mast, so we might get an adjustment on our ratings.



We had a mishap: once of the saw horses collapsed and the mast fell to the ground breaking the B&G wind instrument.  Hopefully just the cups are damaged.

While putting the mast in the rack we noticed a stress crack of the mast at the partners:



This will need to be addressed by Klacko Spars who built the new mast 2 seasons ago.