1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Thursday, August 4, 2011

2011.08.03 Whitby Race Night

It was raining all afternoon, it was cold and miserable.  Winds were from the NE 8 knots with gusts to 16+.  3-4 foot waves were coming from the SE. 

I went out single handed with my foul weather gear on, reef in the main, and the 110 jib.

Waves were too much for the autohelm to handle.  I had waves breaking over the cabintop (I had the crib boards in!).  Lots of things got wet in Still Time: carpet, bedding, and pillows.  Good thing I had my phone in its waterproof case!  Rita would DEFINATELY not have liked this.

Perfect amount of sail, the boat was flying!  I did tack too soon to make the first windward mark, and had two Viking 33s (Sumac and Paroose) from the class that started 5 minutes after me on a starboard tack screaming to the mark.  Had to delay the tacks to make the mark until I was sure I could duck behind them.

An open cockpit Martin 243 called Black Shadow went to harden up to go upwind, and got hit by a strong gust.  The boat turtled on it side and all three guys went in the water, with several boats heading to the mark behind them.  The race was immediately abandoned by the race commitee (good job!).  Several boats got the crew out of the water, got the boat rightened, and sailed her back in.

A DNF is better than a DNC.

Trip Odometer: 9.54 miles
Moving Avg: 4.5 knots
Moving Time: 02:08:12

Google Earth track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/20110803.kmz

No comments:

Post a Comment