1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Saturday, August 27, 2011

2011.08.27 Jack Layton Memorial

Short handed race in honour of Jack Layton who's funeral was today.

The night before I took apart my dead autohelm.  To my surprize a power intergrated ciruit has become de-soldered from the mainboard.   May be able to fix it; they may be some heat damage to the motherboard. I went onto Kijiji and a guy was selling a gently used newer Raymarina ST1000+ for about half price of new (no tax).  Emailed the guy right away, he was accross the harbour at Port Whtitby Marina.  Had all the parts with box, manual, electrical fittings, pin, and bushing.  With the postponed race, I was able to get it hooked up.  If I do fix my old one, I will sell the new one to Neil on Santeria.  New autohelm performed flawlessly; as an added plus, it can interface with a chart plotter!

Skipper's meeting at 10am, race posponed because of fog and no wind.

Skipper's meeting at 11am, race posponed because of lack of wind.

Skipper's meeting at 12pm, race on to mark near Pickering Nuclear and back, starting at 1pm.

We had about 10 knots of breeze from the south, everyone went non flying sails.
Full main and #1.

Everyone was port tack at the start, I was over early by about 5 seconds, and had to come back.  Oh well, would have been in everyone's dirty air. Did get the boat moving at over 6 knots most of the way to the mark, about 5 minutes behind the rest of the fleet. The new #1 is AWESOME!. Did my tack to make the mark, and the wind completely died!  It took less than a hour to get to the mark (2pm). Three hours later the race was abandonded.  It took me three hours to go 1.4 miles!  Looking at the GPS, I was stopped for 38:31.  No wind at all.  When the race the was called, I was going to try my spinnaker, but there was NOTHING! 

Took about an hour to motor back.

Trip Odometer: 14.23 miles
Moving Avg: 2.9 knots
Overall Avg: 2.6 knots
Stopped Time: 38:21
Moving Time: 04:55:02

Google Earth track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/20110827.kmz

Had a nice BBQ with the Newcastle folks at the gazebo.  Then went out for a sunset cruise on John's 38' powerboat.  Probably had 15 people on board.  It was great.

A make up race will be held on Monday September 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment