1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Thursday, September 13, 2012

C34 Leaky Lewmars

My 1990 CS34 has 14 opening Lewmar portlights.  When it rains with any force, all the ports are leaking at the hatch dogs.  The hatch dogs attach to the lenses on the port and force the lenses to seal against a gasket.

Google search told me to clean the rubber gaskets and work some petroleum jelly to make them more subtle.  This didn't work.

Last weekend, we had major rains, and I had to put buckets, cups, pans, underneath most of the ports to keep the cushions dry.  Something needs to be done.

I found a vendor from Seattle WA, called New Found Metals.  They have really nice stainless steel opening ports.  Would be a nice upgrade for Still Time.  However, when I priced them out, it would come to $7k for the 14 ports!  Plus, they didn't have a size for the nine smaller ports, and I would have to cut the openings larger.

Another Google search referred me to Catalina Direct:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1856&ParentCat=380

Hmmm... a trip the local plumbing supply store for some O-Rings and silicone grease.


The larger ports have 4 dogs on the bottom glass,
while the smaller have 2 of them

Here is a closeup of the dog

Shows how the dog is attached

Had to remove a plastic retainer to expose the screws

Dog removed
The dogs are supposed to ride on the o-ring, and not rub on the lens.  The old o-rings are compressed and or broken, allowing the dogs to rub on the lens.  If I were a 21 year old o-ring, I would be the same!

Used a small screwdriver to remove the o-ring

This o-ring was split!

Used silicone lubricant on the o-ring

I did the one window that leaks the most.  All the of o-rings were flat or broken.  When I removed the dog from the glass, there was water in the hole.

The o-rings and silicone grease cost under $20.

Time will tell; there's Still Time...

UPDATE: we had MAJOR rains yesterday, and not one drop of water from the port I replaced the o-rings on!

No comments:

Post a Comment