1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Saturday, September 1, 2012

CS34 Slip

After coming back from cruising the 1000 islands, we had forgotten to get out dock lines out, and Rita was scrambling to get them out as we were going into our slip.   Driving into out slip, we bottomed out into the soft silt.  On the plus side, we didn't need the dock liines!

We had to the boat out last weekend, and had to gun the motor out of the slip.

I guess this week, the water levels have dropped even more.

This morning I used the head and noticed the telltale signs that I needed a pumpout.  It was hard to pump and very stinky coming out of the holding tank vent on the transom.  I started up the motor, disconnected the shore power, and dock lines, and went to leave the slip.  It took me about 10 minutes of gunning the motor and rocking the boat back and forth to get out!

Coming back from the pumpout, I decided to go into another slip and check out what is happening in my old one:

Someone on Facebook said it looks like a stingray!

The head of the stingray is where the keel was rocking back and forth for the past week. 
The tail of the stringray is the keel ploughing through the mud to get out of the slip.

Got my boat hook out and discovered that there is less than 4 ft of water on my slip.  Still Time's keel is 4 1/2 ft in the water.  All the available slips on the dock 8 has similiar issues.  The powerboats near shore on dock 8 are in 2 ft of water!

Still Time is now in an available slip 710N on dock 7, directly accross from the old slip.  French Vanilla is immediately off our bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment