1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

C22 Whitby Last Singlehanded Race

Only boat out for the last singlehanded race.
Colin could not make it.
Cam is sick.
Chris is seeing Les Miserables play in Toronto (the horror!)

I went out anyway BECAUSE I WANTED TO TRY THE NEW SAIL.

Winds were 7-14 knots from NW, so I rigged up a double reef with the old main and the new genoa.
New sail is a full host, using all of the forestay.  PERFECT amount of sail.

Got going over 5 knots on a close reach toward the Ajax weather buoy.  New sail is different; more draft which I needed because the waves were between 1-2 ft.  Pointed the boat to close hauled and sheeted the new sail in.  To my surprise, the sail came no where near the spreaders.  Much more draft to the sail. However, the leech of the sail does touch the upper shroud when oversheeted.  Like it; MUCH different than the other #1 sails I have which are more flat.  More of a forward drive than a healing drive.

I moved the cars back to twist the top of the sail and really liked how the sail powered up.

This new sail will be great in light air, and wavy conditions.





Really like the draft stripes!

Coming back with the waves on a close reach, I had the boat going regularly over 7 knots.

Trip Odometer: 6.99 miles
Moving Average: 4.4 knots
Moving Time: 01:34:00

Google Earth Track: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/2013/20131002.kmz

No comments:

Post a Comment