1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Monday, February 24, 2014

C22 H2O D'oh!

Yesterday was +3 and most of the snow in the cabin had melted into water.

Overnight was around freezing and this morning the high was +1, and by this afternoon, the mercury was to drop to -8.  I HAD to get the snow and especially the water out of the boat.

Went down after watching the Canadian Mens Hockey Team win Gold at the Sochi Winter Olympics.

With a plastic shovel, I removed the snow from the cockpit and cabin.  I got a ceramic heater going to melt some of the remaining snow and ice.

The bilge and the two port seats that connect to it had 3" of water with 1/4" of ice on top of it.  I had to break up the ice, gather it in a bucket and throw it over board.  Using my battery powered shopvac, I took 12 gallons of water out of the bilge.  If that water had frozen, it would have cracked the fiberglass in the bilge area.

Also had to remove ice/water from the starboard bench, and the port aft locker.

Took about two hours.

Next year I shrink wrap!



UPDATE

1 comment:

  1. I went to check on Iris yesterday as well - missed seeing you there! Its been so windy this winter that no snow has had a chance to gather on the tarp. (Or someone has been helping me out and knocking the snow off the boat) Pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete