1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

CS34 on the mend

Here is a picture of the where the prop shaft attaches to the rear of the transmission:


You can see the shredded key stock on the fiberglass below.  I could spin the prop shaft on the output flange by hand.  The key was completely gone.  Plus the two metal bolts that keep the prop from coming out of the output flange had completely sheared off too!

Walter Pingle helped me move the prop shaft back enough to get the flange off.  The 1" prop shaft is in not bad shape, however, the output flange is worn out so much that you can wobble it on the shaft. 

I made a call to Durham Marine, and they would have to order the flange (5-10 business days).  Called Ontario Boat Wreckers and they said they would have one.  Walter and I drove to Sunderland (45 minutes).  We had to crawl on a bunch of boats, but in the end didn't find one.  Most of the boats there had smaller shafts.

We went into Port Whitby Marine, and Martin ordered us one ($160) and we will see it on Tuesday.

At the Toronto Boat Show, I had purchased an Electromaxx serpentine pulley kit.  Still Time goes through alternator belts when cruising.  If you are at anchor and draw the batteries down, the 90 amp alternator would chew new belts making lots of noise, and creating lots of belt dust.  Never got a chance to install it.  The install was fairly easy, took about half an hour.  However, the serpentine belt with the kit was WAY to long, and would not fit.  I called the company and they confirmed that the kit should have come with 390J instead of a 440J belt.

I called them today, and they wanted me to ship the  old belt back to them before they would ship the proper one out.  I decided to drive to Beamville after work (about 90 minutes) and solve the problem.  Coming back, it took me half a hour to get to the 427, and another 2 hours to get to Whitby!  The Pan Am games are on and the HOV lanes started.  So normally there are four lanes in the express, reduced to three lanes.  Plus there was an accident at Victoria Park, reducing the lanes to two: PLUS emergency vehicles were blocking a lane in the collectors further contributing to the chaos.

The belt took two minutes to put in:

You can see the belt dusk on the fiberglass

view from top


The weekend weather was so bad that we didn't goto the boat at all.  On Monday morning I got an email from a dock mate that big Still Time was sideways in her slip.  All the wind and waves on the weekend had pulled the decking holding the cleat that had the stern line on it:


D'OH
The spring line (white line above) kept the boat from any damage.

Hopefully I get the replacement output flange and Still Time will be ready for a Canada Day fireworks cruise!



1 comment:

  1. I hope you had gotten the new flange installed in time for Canada day. I have just bought my 3rd. CS34 (hull # 8278). Long story, but my wife and I bought the first one (hull # 8279) in 91. My intent is to semi retire and live aboard during the sailing season. I would love to be able to email you with some questions about Still Time, and hopefully reciprocate. Best Regards,
    Howard (badhabits1@outlook.com)

    ReplyDelete