1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

C22 Fall Singlehanded Race 2

In the Stonehaven Cup race two Sundays ago, I had the #1 genoa up in too much wind!  Chris and I were sailing upwind when a puff came up, and we heard a loud BANG.  Checked the shrouds, chainplates, and finally the stem fitting.  This is where the forestay attaches to the front of the boat.

Here is a picture from the internet:


The front of this fitting was being pulled from the deck and had pulled about 3/4" out of the deck.  The backing plate that I added several years ago is about the same outline as the base of the stem fitting.  The plywood core between the fitting and the backing plate was rotten and was compressing when the forestay applied pressure to it.

This is a design flaw in the Catalina 22.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/971/stem-reinforcement-assy-c-22.cfm

I got a piece of 1/4" aluminum and shaped it to fit the entire fromntsection of the bow.  Sorry no pictures as I was rushing to get it done and the mast up before racing.  Thanks Mark for helping me.

When I took the mast down last week, the two turnbuckles for the upper shrouds were seized, so I got two replacements from Nat's Marine


Open turnbuckles are easier to tune the mast.

Got the mast up just as the other racers were leaving the docks.

Going out the channel, I was tuning the rigging all the way to the race course.

Course was 1 short, and I was out with full main and #2 genoa.  Little too much sail, but I did what I could to keep the boat on its feet.

Got to the windward mark (#1) at the same time as the three Sharks, but alas, they pulled ahead on the downwind legs.  Finished within a couple minutes of them, probably caught them on corrected time.  UPDATE: fourth place, 7 seconds from a third and 31 seconds from a second.

Sunset coming in the harbour

I sailed right into the harbour tacking within feet of the harbour walls:


Hove to near the south breakwall and dropped the main.

Peter from RazorBill helped me fold my sails, and I went up the 60ft mast of Razorbill in a Bosun's chair to fix the masthead halyard that had jumped its shiv:


Great night on the water (and in the air!)

Trip Odometer: 7.1 knots
Avg Speed: 4.8 knots
Moving Time 01:28:00

Google Earth Track

Click for BIGGER


No comments:

Post a Comment