1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Monday, May 9, 2011

Keel Joint

I had already cleaned out the keel joint two years ago.
I had ground it out and filled it with 5200.

I was amazed how easy it was to take off.
There wasn't much holding it in there.

Taped either side of the joint with masking tape, and fill the joint with Sikaflex 15 LM.
Faired it out with a putty knife.

In the end it looked like I had some black electrical tape on the joint.



Sikaflx 15LM was recommended to me by Jim from the club.
This product can flex 50% of its dimension.
It is used for sealing window/door frames around masonary in office buildings.
It was $7 a tube from the local building supply company.

I had put a 1" dab on a piece of plywood I had.
After curing for one day, I had a lot of trouble pulling it off!

Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment