1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Monday, May 9, 2011

Stainless Plate

I went to a local metal shop in Whitby and got 3/16" thick 2" wide stainless flatbar.
Three feet cost me $25.

I was warned how hard stainless is, and bought a 1/2" cobalt bit.
I bought two from Princess Auto for $20 each, just in case I messed one up.

I made a template using 1/4" plywood, and transferred it to the stainless flatbar.

Using an 1/2" Rigid drill from Richard, I took my time.
Drilling slowly with medium pressure, I could drill for a bout a minute before the bit and piece heated up.
I would let the drill and piece cool for about 10 or 15 mintues, before drilling for another minute.
It took about an hour to drill each hole.

THIS WAS HAPPENING THREE DAYS BEFORE LAUNCH!!!

I tried the club shop's drill press, but even on the lowest speed, it was too fast, and the bit and flatbar were heating up too fast.  I was worried about killing the drill bit.

Trimming the flatbar was easy with a hand grinder.

The keel bolts are at a slight angle, so getting the flatbar to sit on the repair required expanding the 1/2 holes out to 9/16 or more using a carbide milling bit that I picked up from a machine shop for $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment