1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

2011.10.05 Whitby Single Handed

Wanted to get to the dock by 4:30pm as the race was starting at 5:30pm because the light is getting less and less.  Could not get of work until 4pm.  Had to goto the bank, get gas, and the traffic was TERRIBLE.  Didn't get to the club until 5:10pm.  The flags at the club house were limp.  Jumped on the boat, and motored out as fast as I could radioing Berserk, saying my ETA was 5:41pm to the mark 9. 

I motored out to the start putting up my sails.  They started the 10 minute countdown at 5:30pm. When the start gun went off I turned the motor, and was about 1/4 mile from the start.  Took me about 10 minutes to cross the line. 

There was only about 4 knots of breeze but flat water (no waves).  Full sail (new main and light #1) got the boat going over 3 knots.   Course was 5 short, and was eventually shorted to a 5 triangle.  Experimented with moving the jib cars back to put twist in the genoa; worked well.  I was able to skirt the light #1 inside the lifelines.

Got the boat moving well in the little bit of wind.  Missed the first mark and had to tack twice.  Downwind to the 2nd mark was slow wing on wing with about 2 knots of boat speed.

MAN I miss having a windex, and there wasn't enough wind to drive the tell tails on the back stay.  Outhaul kept popping loose; need to do something about that.

Came dead last FAR behind the fleet as the wind was dying, but I finished.  Lost opportunity to place in the top three for the fall singlehanded series.

Tried to put the sails away on the dock, but they kept falling in the water.  I loosely flaked them, and put them on top of the car, and drove to the clubhouse for a beer.  Mark Ashworth helped me roll/fold them (thanks Mark!).

Tomorrow, I will bring my rolled main, and whisker pole to Nats, and get some shock chord fitted to allow me to roll the main as I take it down singlehanded.

Trip Odometer: 11.11 knots
Moving Avg: 4.5 knots (this sound wrong)
Moving Time: 02:26:33

Think the GPS came on in the car on the way over, squewing the moving avg.

Google Earth track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/20111005.kmz

No comments:

Post a Comment