1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Still Time Issues

Now that Still Time is on the hard, I have found several things that need to be addressed.

First is the bow damage sustained when I hit a C&C 115 in a 20 knot breeze at a little over a knot:

YES that is raw fiberglass!
The damage is more than I thought!  Spider cracks radiate out on the port side.  This will need some epoxy/fibreglass repair.  I will have to dig out the gelcoat cracks.  Think this might be an insurance claim, as I already have to pay for the repair of the other boat's transom.

Second is a crack in the rudder:
Crack in rudder between pintles
The crack has always been there since I bought the boat, but this year it has opened up.  The rudder is a wood core encapulated in fibreglass, so it appears to be separating.  It however does not extend to the waterline.  I have always stored my rudder indoors: if there was any water in the core, it would split the rudder right in half!   The transom trim at the top of the photo is looking tired; Catalina Direct has a replacement for $22.  A replacement rudder is over $600!

Third is the rear transom:

Furry transom
When Still Time was build in 1982, she was expecting a 5 hp motor weighing 40 pounds.  The 8hp Honda on Still Time weighs over 110 pounds.  I also have lots of gear (sails, anchor, safety equipment) in the aft lockers.  So Still Time is sitting lower at the stern in the water. The transom does not have any barrier coat or anti fouling paint on it.  When I strip and epoxy barrier coat the bottom, I will extend it up the transom a couple of inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment