1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Refections on Sailing Season

Still Time finished 2nd overall in division 1 (white sail):

http://wyc.ca/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=89

Looking at the numbers, I could have made a run for 1st overal if I didn't miss a bunch of races in the beginning of the season.  It is important to attend all races. 

Last weekend's cold weather with 30+ knot winds and 8 ft waves meant no sailing.
Don't know if I will get out before Saturday's haulout.
I will take my mast down on Friday night.
Probably stay on the boat because haulout starts early.

84 trips
1795 nautical miles
347 hours of sailing (14.45 days)

Went out about the same number of times as last year, but definately had more sailing time and miles.  The biggest diffence was the Susan Hood on French Vanilla, Whitby 50 on Sumac, and Youngstown on Coug.

I learned a LOT this year.

First in the LO300 on French Vanilla.
Second in the Susan Hood on French Vanilla.

It was a GREAT year.

Significant additions to Still Time:
  • New main
  • New light #1
  • New heavy #1
  • Used spinnaker and pole
  • New backstay adjuster
Wish I had bought the new sails earlier in the season.  They really make a difference.  Still have to figure out reefing for the new main.  When the wind is over 15 knots, I am using my old main with a reef or two and my #3 or storm jib.

Lots of projects for Still Time in the off season :
  • drop and rebed keel (going to do this right after haulout)
  • repair rudder (small crack in leading edge above waterline)
  • fair keel joint
  • scrape bottom
  • Epoxy barrier
  • VC17 bottom paint
  • re-inforce stem fitting (forestay attachment point)
  • spinnaker crane
  • spinnaker halyard/uphaul/downhaul in mast
  • deck organizers
  • rope clutches
  • cabintop winch
  • move teak grab rails to the pop top
  • remove stantions and lifelines
  • inboard genoa tracks
  • re-bed outboard genoa tracks
  • new open turnbuckles
  • mainsail reefing
Looking forward to getting regular crew in next years racing.
John is in for next year.
Pretty sure Dave Stephens from work is in also.
May even enter the spinnaker class.

Pretty much made the decision that Still Time II (my next boat) will be more a cruiser than a racer.  I will have PLENTY of opportunities to get my racing fix: Santeria, Coug, Sumac, and of course Still Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment