1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Friday, August 29, 2014

CS34 EYC to WYC

With the boat and car in Etobicoke Yacht Club, the plan was for Rita to come by GO Train on the Friday night and we would cruise to Hamilton, or Niagara on the Lake.

Looking at the weather forecast with rain and thunderstorms for Saturday and Sunday, we decided not to, so I set out singlehanded to deliver the boat back to Whitby.

Heading out of EYC Harbour, winds were on the nose 20+ knots.  I just motored to the other side of Toronto Island.

Toronto off the beam
The waves were between 4 and 6 feet, not very comfortable.  The maximum speed I could muster under motor was 4 knots.

Once I got out past the Leslie Street Spit, I set up a double reefed main and unfurled about 100% of the jib on a port tack.

I purposely stayed way out in the hopes that I could tack to starboard and make it to Whitby under sail.



Pointing at Whitby

Toronto at sunset

Pointing close hauled to Whitby without the engine, I was only only able to make 3.5 knots of boat speed in the wind and waves.  I sailed out a little further, so that I would be a close reach and be able to sail 40 degrees to the wind for more power in the sails.

My speed increased to over 6.5 knots, and I was able to drop the engine RPMs down to 1,500. Without the engine, I could only do about 5.0 knots of boat speed on sails alone.  Heel was only about 15 degrees.  I just wanted to get home.

Got back into my slip in Whitby at 10:30pm.

Trip Odometer: 30.85 miles
Moving Average: 6.1 knots
Moving Time: 05:01:38

Track: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12535935/Still%20Time/2014/20130829.kmz




No comments:

Post a Comment