1990 Canadian Sailcraft CS34 Shoal Draft
Sail #8268

1982 Catalina 22 Fin Keel
Sail #10506

1994 MUMM 36 ACE
Sail # 29206

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Davy Jones' Locker


How many of you have lost something overboard at the dock, only to never recover it?
You know exactly where it went in, but you can’t see it.
You can try a fishnet and push the item further into the silt.
 
All is not lost, there’s Still Time!

A couple of years ago in Newcastle I lost my brand new prescription sunglasses overboard at the dock in about 9 ft of water.  I went to borrow a fishnet from one of the fishermen.  He said I would never find them and suggested I use his fish camera.   In about 5 minutes I could see the glasses in the silt and was able to scoop them up with a net.

Fast forward this season, I took my sunglasses off to put the mainsail up only to have them go overboard.   I decided to buy one of these FishTVs for myself:


This device has been used successfully to recover several items from Davy Jones' Locker.
The battery operated unit has a black and white screen, and a fish shaped camera on the end of a tether with LED lights.  Shows the bottom really well even in the dark.

So before you go fishing for lost treasures, come by dock 8 at the Whitby Yacht Club, and I would more than happy to lend the FishTV to you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment